Rolling Steel Doors are metal slatted doors that roll up to store in coil above the opening. They are used to provide security against entry or weather protection at exterior and interior openings in industrial, commercial, institutional and other buildings. They are also called overhead coiling doors or service doors.
Rolling Steel Door Benefits:
- Design Flexibility: Cornell coiling doors are built to order to fit your opening size, operation and option preferences.
- Space Saving: Coiling doors roll upward and store in a tight coil above the opening for fuller use of the interior space. This reduces interference with other building components.
- Low Life Cycle Cost: Cornell’s rugged construction and quality materials assure long life and less costly maintenance.
Rolling Steel Overhead Door Options
Want to see more?
Call our friendly sales team to find the commercial door for any size job. We specialize in providing the best in design options and highest quality installation in North Alabama.
Rolling Door Product Line
Rolling Door Sizes: 30′ wide, 30′ high standard construction.
Large Openings to 50′ wide, 40′ high, consult factory.
Rolling Door Operation: Motors, chain, hand-crank or push-up designs based on size, weight or frequency of operation.
Usage: Standard construction for coiling doors is up to 20 cycles per day with High Cycle Construction available for doors expected to be operated more than 20 cycles per day, i.e., parking garages, sally ports.
Fast Acting Doors: For high traffic openings or where air flow or temperature control is critical, doors can be designed to operate at more than twice the speed of typical doors, or up to 2 ft./sec.
Wind Load: Cornell coiling doors can be configured to withstand the full range of specific wind load requirements including missile impact ratings.
Seismic Performance Validation: Cornell can provide project specific seismic calculations for all coiling doors that are mounted Face of Wall or Between Jambs to steel or masonry. Seismic performance validation is per ASCE 7-05.
Materials and Finishes: Standard door curtains are available in 24, 22, 20 and 18 gauge galvanized steel with exclusive GalvaNex™ finish in light gray, tan or white. Also 20 gauge 300 series stainless steel with #4 finish or #16 B&S gauge aluminum with mill, clear or color anodized finish.
Thermiser Insulated Rolling Doors are intended for use in exterior openings where maintaining environmental separation on each side of the door is necessary and/or desirable. The full perimeter seal of these energy efficient doors also reduces sound transmission by 37% compared to non-insulated rolling doors. Hospitals, schools and universities are examples of applications where Thermiser (or Thermiser Max) can decrease sound transmission.
- Climate control and security
- Compact storage
- Durable and sustainable
- Little or no maintenance
- Low life cycle cost
- Size flexibility: Built to order
Thermiser Max and Thermiser Product Specifics
Sizes: Standard construction to 30′ W x 30′ H. Large openings to 38′ W x 40′ H, consult factory.
Operation: Hand chain, hand crank and motors are available based on based on size, weight or frequency of operation.
Usage: Standard construction is up to 20 cycles per day and High Cycle construction is available for doors expected to cycle more than 20 times per day.
Seismic Performance Validation: Cornell can provide project specific seismic calculations for all Thermiser or Thermiser Max insulated coiling doors mounted Face of Wall or Between Jambs to steel or masonry. Seismic performance validation is per ASCE 7-05.
Materials and Finishes: Double skin interlocking roll formed interior and exterior metal slats are filled with 7/8″ thick closed cell pressure foamed in place urethane insulation with a Flame Spread Index of 0 and a Smoke Developed Index of 10 as tested per ASTM E84. Curtain assembly materials meet the foam plastic insulation requirements of the 2012 IBC®, section 2603. The slat has an R-value of 8.0 as calculated using the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals. Exterior skin available in: 24, 22, 20 and 18 ga. galvanized steel with exclusive GalvaNex™ or SpectraShield® finish; 22 ga. stainless steel, #4 finish; 18 ga. aluminum in mill, clear or color anodized. Interior skin available in: 24 ga. galvanized steel with exclusive GalvaNex or SpectraShield finish, 22 ga. Available with 22 ga. exterior skin; 22 ga. stainless steel, #4 finish; 18 ga. aluminum in mill, clear or color anodized finish.
Standard Material & Finish: Galvanized steel with exclusive GalvaNex finish in light gray, tan or white.
Optional Materials: Aluminum, Stainless steel
Thermiser Max sealing system includes a thermally broken guide assembly and lintel seal (patent pending).
- Aluminum in mill, clear or color anodized
- Stainless steel, 300 series #4 finish
- Hot-dip galvanizing on steel components
- Cornell’s SpectraShield powder coat finish in a choice of over 200 colors adds durability and aesthetic value
- Zinc Rich Gray corrosion resistant powder coating
See our Standard Materials and Finishes Page for more information.
- Combination Doors: Combine two different curtains on the same opening. Typically an insulated door is used in conjunction with an open design rolling grille to provide ventilation. When extreme weather or sound resistance is desired, superimposed/double insulated curtain assemblies can be used.
- Pass Doors: Hollow metal man door and hinged frame available within a curtain. (Thermiser only)
- Removable Guide Mullions: For wide openings requiring full access on a limited basis. (Thermiser only)
- Sloping or Irregular Sills: Special bottom bar designs can meet odd floor conditions including slopes, curbs or rails.
- Specified Wind Load: Doors can be configured to withstand the full range of specific wind load requirements, including missile impact ratings. Performance validated through third party testing.
- 1 or 2 way vision windows
- Custom graphics on door
- Cylinder or slide bolt locking
- Entrapment protection
- Motor operation
Rolling Counter Doors secure openings above counters and other similar finished openings on interior and exterior walls. Feature smaller, more aesthetically pleasing guides, slats, brackets and hood than rolling doors; can fully close to the floor when compact door components are desired. Also called shutters.
Sizes: Openings up to 21′ wide or 10′ high standard construction.
Operation: Concealed tubular motors, shown left, provide a solution for strict dimensional limitations around the header or aesthetic requirements that lend themselves to its smaller, compact design. Standard motor, hand crank, or push-up designs also available based on size and weight.
Materials and Finishes: Curtains available in #18 B & S gauge or extruded .055″ aluminum with clear or color anodized finish, 22 gauge galvanized steel with exclusive GalvaNex™ finish in light gray or 22 gauge stainless steel with #4 finish. SpectraShield® Powder Coating optional.
Counter Door Options:
Countertops: 14 gauge stainless steel countertops are available up to 11′ wide, 20″ deep. Plastic laminate countertops are available up to 18′ wide, 36″ deep, in a range of standard laminates.
Additional Counter Door Offerings:
Graphics Door: Add durable, full-color images to your curtains and hoods. Great for school logos and turning unused door space into profitable sponsorship opportunities in stadiums, amusement parks and retail stores.
ScreenGard™ Perforated Counter Door Slat: Achieve visibility and ventilation while maintaining security and insect control. Perforated 22 gauge galvanized steel slat provides approximately 22% open space.
Assembled and welded at the factory. They frame and secure openings above counters and other similar finished openings on interior walls.
Sizes: Openings up to 11′ 7″ wide by 4′ 10″ high in walls 4″ to 13″ thick.
Operation: Push-up or hand crank designs. Tube motors available as a solution for limited headroom clearances or designs where a smaller operator would be preferred. See above for photo. Standard motor operation also available.
Counter Door with Integral Frame Benefits:
- Aesthetics: Seamless, custom built-in look.
- Easy Installation: Units are fitted to pass window wall openings without field assembly, so they become an important time-saver for contractors and building owners.
- Mounting Alternatives: Between jambs and face-of-wall units may wrap around wall if installation is done while wall is under construction. Slip-in units may be set into finished walls.
Materials and Finishes: Integral welded head and jambs are formed of 16 gauge 300 series #4 finish stainless steel shapes or 16 gauge primed steel shapes. Curtain materials: aluminum slats are clear or color anodized; galvanized steel with exclusive GalvaNex™ finish in light gray; stainless steel is 300 series in #4 finish. SpectraShield® Powder Coating optional on non-stainless components.
Countertops: Rolling Counter Doors with frames are available with or without countertops. Standard countertops are 300 series stainless steel with #4 finish. Plastic laminate countertops are also available.
Additional Counter Door Offerings:
Graphics Door and ScreenGard™ Perforated Counter Door Slat available. See description above.